Lead Screw Tapping Unit
Jiffy-Tap - What is It …
Jiffy-Tap is the light, compact, and powerful answer to production lead screw tapping in close quarters. The hydraulic motor on the Jiffy-Tap has up to 6 HP capability, allowing it to drive taps up to 1 1/2'' N.C. in cast iron or the equivalent. Yet the Jiffy-Tap is so compact that several of them may be mounted side by side on 3 5/16'' spacing. Length from end of tap chuck to end of hydraulic motor is less than 20''.
Jiffy-Tap consists of a lead screw spindle driven with a hydraulic motor. Built-in limit switches can be wired into an electrical circuit to reverse the motor when tapping depth is reached, and to stop it at desired retracted position. A choice of several hydraulic motors with different displacements are available, giving different ratios of speed and torque to suit every tapping application within its power range.
The Jiffy-Tap hydraulic motor receives power through a pair of hoses from a hydraulic power unit located elsewhere. This power unit is not part of the Jiffy-Tap. It may be purchased separately, or the Jiffy-Tap may be run from an existing hydraulic supply. A 4-way solenoid control valve is also required as auxiliary equipment. Full details are given in factory catalog JCAT2, available on request, or online at www.aaaproducts.com.
Jiffy-Tap Features …
- Choice of lead screws from 6 to 40 threads per inch Class 3 thread. The lead screw can • be changed in the field to another pitch in less than 10 minutes by changing the lead screw spindle and its matching bushing.
- Jiffy-Tap allows the use of smaller diameter rotary tables and shorter linear movement when building transfer type machines. This allows more tapped holes per workpiece, and more tapping stations in a given space.
- Tap torque can be adjusted with the relief valve on the remote hydraulic power unit which • furnishes power for the Jiffy-Tap motor. The tap can be stalled without damage to the Jiffy-Tap or to the hydraulic power unit.
- Jiffy-Tap unit weighs approximately 28 lbs., and can be readily moved from one machine to another because of the 5/8? line-up slot in the base. If hydraulic quick couplers, and the optional electrical plug-in harness are used, the Jiffy-Tap units can be relocated very rapidly.
- Jiffy-Tap can be used as a portable tapping unit with a slide-in fixture for large parts. They can be mounted in any position.
- Jiffy-Tap can be reversed many times a minute without damage, and there is no need for special high reversal electric motors with their high inertia and high heat problems.
- A Jiffy-Tap unit, complete with any standard lead screw, electric control box, and hydraulic power unit (including reservoir and control valve), costs less than heavy, bulky electric motor driven lead screw tapping units; and the Jiffy-Tap unit (only) fits in one-third the space. With Jiffy-Tap you can now do jobs which were impractical or impossible before.
Jiffy-Tap - How It Works
Basic Tapping Unit … The unique Jiffy-Tap spindle is rotated by a compact, high torque, low inertia hydraulic motor. Reversals of 100 times a minute, and more, by means of a solenoid 4-way valve are no problem for the Jiffy-Tap.
Hydraulic Power Supply … A power unit can be purchased from listings in this manual, or the Jiffy-Tap can be run from an existing power unit. A double solenoid, 4-way valve may also be purchased from listings in this manual and installed on the hydraulic power unit.
Tapping Cycle … The tapping cycle is started with an electrical signal to one solenoid of a 4-way control valve. This signal may originate from a pushbutton, or from a sequence switch on an automatic machine installation. A limit switch mounted in the Jiffy-Tap provides a signal for reversal when proper depth has been reached. Another built-in limit switch stops the tap when retracted position has been reached. These stop and retract positions are adjustable.
EP-12. 8-pin male plug mounted on Jiffy-Tap unit and wired to limit switches. Also includes 12-ft. cable with 8-pin female socket to plug into Jiffy-Tap.
LS. Extra lead screw tap spindle with matching bronze bushed front bearing block. Specify desired thread when ordering.
SQ. Quick-change lead screw spindle on any basic Jiffy-Tap.
MQ. Basic Jiffy-Tap ordered with motor for Quick-change motor assembly option.
The following accessories are available and may be purchased separately in the sizes and quantities desired.
Tap Chuck. You will need at least one chuck, either No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, or No. 4 size according to the tap size to be used. Refer to charts below.
Tap Adaptor Bushings. Order as many as desired, one for each tap size. Specify whether for No. 1, No. 2, or No. 4 chuck, and bushing I.D.
Adaptor Bushings. These charts show available sizes to fit No. 1, No. 2, and No. 4 chucks. One bushing is required for each tap size.
Jiffy DrillProduction Drilling Unit
General Description …
Jiffy-Drill is the light powerful, and compact answer to production drilling, reaming, spot facing, and for tapping Class 1 or Class 2 threads in pre-drilled holes. It will drill holes up through 1 1/2" diameter to a depth of 3 1/2" in cast iron with ample allowance for dull drill bits.
A hydraulic motor rotates the spindle and will deliver up to 6 HP. Yet the Jiffy-Drill is so compact that two units can be mounted side-by-side on
3 5/16" spacing.
The Jiffy-Drill is very compact, with an approximate length of 27'' from end of hydraulic motor to end of drill chuck.
How It Works …
The spindle is rotated with a slow speed hydraulic motor; the drill bit is advanced and retracted by a built-in piston which can be powered by hydraulics.
Built-in electric limit switches and cams are easily adjusted for stroke limits, forward and reverse, and for rapid advance, fine feed, and rapid retract when used with properly designed electrical and fluid circuits.
Jiffy-Drill Features …
- Adjustable stroke up to 3 1/2".
- Speed range 30 to 5000 RPM according to hydraulic motor selected.
- Light weight - approximately 30 lbs. Can be used in special fixtures as a portable drill.
- Can be set up, with proper electrical circuits, for rapid advance, feed, rapid return, and to dwell, skip drill, or peck drill.
- All popular types of spindles are available.
- Jiffy-Drill can be operated at a high cycle rate or can be stalled in the work without damage to the hydraulic motor or the Jiffy-Drill.
SBA-1. Basic unit can be furnished with a straight 1'' keyed drive shaft on rear of unit for quill rotation from an external power source through a pulley or flexible coupling.
EPD-12. For quick disconnect of Jiffy-Drill from external wiring. Includes all wiring, inside the Jiffy-Drill switch cover, to the limit switches and to machine ground, terminating in an 8-pin male socket mounted behind the switch cover. Also includes a 12-ft. length of 8-wire oil-resistant control cable with 8-pin mating female plug.
High Speed Threading Machine
A new concept in rod threading. Handy-Thread features standard rotating die heads, automatic air chucking, automatic die opening at precise thread length. Will cut a different thread length on opposite ends of each rod.
Designed for continuous duty high production rod threading of rods from 1/16'' through 5/8'' diameter. Approximate size: 23'' x 37' x 26'' high. Weighs approximately 300 lbs.
Handy-Thread -How It Works …
The Handy-Thread has no chucking or feed levers, no foot switches and no clutches. The operator inserts the rod to be threaded through a short collet and against a stop; then pushes the carriage (with rod) forward until the rod engages the rotating threading die. At the proper thread length the die opens automatically. The operator then pulls the carriage (and rod) back and withdraws the threaded rod. Clamping and unclamping of the rod in the collet, and opening and re-cocking of the threading die are all done automatically as carriage movement actuates various limit switches.
Features of the Standard HT-1P Model
The standard HT-1P model uses a 1 1/2 HP, single phase, 120 VAC electric motor. It rotates the threading die at 400 RPM. Other speeds can be set at the factory, as ordered, or the pulleys can be changed in the field for faster or slower spindle speed.
Rod Material. Most materials for which the die is suited can be threaded, HP and RPM being the limiting factor.
Thread Length. This model will produce thread lengths up to 6'' and can thread to within 1/2'' of the end of the rod (a minimum of 1/2'' is required for the collet to grip the rod). Rods as short as 1'' long can be threaded. Longer threads or continuous threading of long rods requires a special Handy-Thread model.
Alternate Threading. Two thread length limit cams are provided which can be set to different thread lengths. The operator can cut threads of different lengths on opposite ends of the same rod, up to 3 1/2'' long on one end and up to 6'' long on the opposite end. First thread one end, then insert the opposite end for a different thread length. After initially setting the two length stops the alternate threading operation is automatic. When the alternate threading feature is off, the same length is cut on both ends.
Thread Cutting Dies. The Handy-Thread machine can be ordered to use almost any brand of 5/8'' capacity rotating die head of the quick opening type, but the machine must be fitted at the factory for the particular brand requested.
The Handy-Thread machine can be adjusted for very accurate thread lengths, and will repeat to an accuracy of plus or minus 0.018''. The collet can be centered on the die head with sufficient accuracy to produce any class of thread of which the die head is capable. Thread length is held very accurately because of the low friction, free traveling ball bearings on which the chuck carriage travels.
Threading dies for the Handy-Thread machine must be of the quick opening, rotating type which have a yoke to open and close the die. Purchase dies locally.
Available in: Alabama, Arkansas, N.W. Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah